OGS Annual Conference • April 25-27, 2013 • Cincinnati, OH
Call for Papers
The Ohio Genealogical Society is accepting proposals for their 2013 Annual Conference at the Millennium Hotel in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. Deadline for submissions is 30 June 2012. Lectures will be one hour long, including a ten-minute question and answer period. Submissions for workshops, especially for Thursday afternoon, will be considered.
We are specifically looking for speakers with proposals showing how technology can benefit your research. In addition, proposals are being sought in a variety of areas including beginning genealogy, Ohio-specific topics, ethnic groups (German, African American etc.), Genetics and DNA, methodology, writing / publishing, emigration / immigration, military resources, transportation (canals, rivers, railroads), online newspapers, and proof standards. Previous speakers are encouraged to submit new or new to the Ohio conference proposals.
Send proposals in pdf or Microsoft Word format. File names should include your last name, first initial and proposal topic (Ex. PalmerD_Census.pdf). Please include a copy of your resume of your most recent lecture experiences as a separate pdf or MS Word file (Ex. PalmerD_resume.pdf). Each proposal should include:
- Speaker's Name
- Speaker contact information including: full name, postal address, email address, phone, fax (if applicable)
- Speaker's brief biography for brochure (50 words or less)
- Lecture title (10 words or less)
- Lecture description for the program brochure (40 words or less)
- Audience level (beginning, intermediate, advanced, all)
- Audio-visual requirements (OGS does not provide projectors or computers for speakers)
- Lecture Outline / Summary (limited to one single sided page)
Speakers who have not lectured at a state, regional, or national conference are encouraged to submit an audio or video tape of a recent lecture to 2013 OGS Conference Program Chair, Dana Palmer, 1149 Thistle Lane, Lebanon, Ohio 45036. Send proposals as an email attachment with “OGS 2013 Lecture Proposal” in the subject line, to 2013Program@ogs.org, or 2 copies by mail, no later than midnight 30 June 2012.
Speakers will receive an honorarium, travel compensation, hotel per diem based on the number of lectures presented and complimentary conference registration. (Sponsored speakers only receive conference registration and syllabus materials. See more about sponsorship below.)
Invitation to speak will be issued towards the end of July 2012. Syllabus format guidelines will be sent to speakers at that time. The deadline for acceptance and signed speaker contracts is August 31, 2012. Camera-ready handouts are required for each lecture of workshop presentation and will be compiled in a syllabus distributed to conference participants. The deadline for submission of syllabus materials is 1 February 2013.
The OGS program chair and committee has the final approval of sponsored lectures and determines the day and time for each lecture. Every effort will be made to accept sponsored lecture proposals. If a proposal does not fit the program or is a duplicate of another proposal, the Sponsor may be given the opportunity to change the lecture. Sponsors are responsible for complying with all conference deadlines. Please observe word limits for lecture title, lecture summary and speaker biography.
OGS agrees to the following:
- Furnish a lecture room with audience seating, podium, microphone, screen, VGA cable, cart, power strip and projector support.
- Invoice the Sponsor after the conference for cost of additional AV equipment or internet connection charges if applicable.
- List the Sponsor, speaker and lecture title in the registration brochure, the OGS online conference materials and the printed program.
- Provide the speaker with a complimentary conference registration for the day of the sponsored lecture.
The Sponsor agrees to the following:
- Pay the speaker fees and related travel costs
- Ensure that the speaker prepares and submits quality syllabus material in compliance with syllabus submission requirements by 1 Feb 2013.
- Confirm that speakers will use electronic presentation programs and will provide their own digital projectors.
- Advise OGS of any additional AV equipment of internet connection requirements by 1 Feb 2013. Cost for extra equipment will be invoiced to the Sponsor after the conference.
- Complete a registration form in its entirety for each lecture sponsored.