OGS Library Use Policy
- The Ohio Genealogical Society (OGS) Library is open free of charge to OGS members. Annual membership in The Ohio Genealogical Society is $35.00 (joint $40, family $45) and includes publications and other benefits in addition to library use. Non-member visitors may utilize all materials in the library by paying a $5.00 per day fee. Guests of the researcher (e.g., non-genealogist child or spouse) are also subject to the fee. Ample parking is provided free of charge. All public areas of the building are handicap accessible.
- Library hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm Tuesday through Saturday. The library is closed Mondays, holidays, and during the annual OGS Conference (usually in April). The library is located at 611 State Route 97 West, Bellville OH 44813-8813; phone (419) 886-1903; fax (419) 886-0092; email email@example.com.
- Photocopy services are available for library patrons. Copies from books and manuscript materials are 20 cents per page. Copies from microfilm, microfiche, and computer printouts are 20 cents per page. Please use the copy equipment with care. Ask for assistance if you do not know how to use the equipment. The digital film/fiche copier at the volunteer desk may be utilized by the volunteer/staff on duty only; the pricing for copies is the same. When the library is busy, the staff may impose a time limitation on equipment use - 15 minutes for copiers/reader printers, 30 minutes for computer [Ancestry.com stations]; 60 minutes for fiche and film readers.
- No smoking is permitted in the building. Eating and drinking should be limited to the kitchen (and meeting room during special non-research events). The kitchen includes a refrigerator, microwave, and toaster oven. Snacks, soft drinks, and bottled water are available for a small fee. This is self-serve with payment on the honor system.
- All library users must sign in at the volunteer desk. Members should show their membership card at this time. Patrons are subject to search upon entering and leaving the library. This includes any possessions brought into the building.
- Please do not re-shelve materials. Deposit books on the book cart and file folders, microfilm, and microfiche on top of the appropriate cabinet when finished. Our volunteers will return all items to their proper place in the library.
- Care should be used in the handling of all library materials. Fountain pens, markers, highlighters, and gel pens are not permitted, in that the ink might seep through the users notepaper onto the original document. Do not mark or deface any library material. Corrections should not be made on library material unless the user is the author.
- Library patrons should conduct themselves in a manner which will not disturb other library users.
- Lockers have been provided for the convenience of library patrons. All laptop computers, umbrellas, purses, books, ring notebooks, cameras, tote bags, briefcases, coats, and similar items, should be placed in these lockers UNLESS the patron checks them in with the volunteer on duty on entrance and exiting. These items are subject to search. OGS is not responsible for items left in the lockers or in the library. A $2.00 fee will be assessed for lost locker keys.
- Violation of these rules may result in the denial of future access to The Ohio Genealogical Society Library. In the case of violations resulting in the loss or damage of library property, criminal prosecution may result.
Users of the CD Collection
- A driver's license (or substitute) should be left with the volunteer on duty while the CD is being used.
- Only one CD or set may be used at a time.
Users of the Manuscript Collection
- The patron is required to submit identification in the form of a driver's license, or other photograph ID, to the volunteer on duty. The card will be returned when the collection borrowed is returned to the volunteer.
- The patron is required to sign the manuscript user form.
- The patron is required to sit at a designated table near the volunteer or staff member on duty.
- No patron is permitted in the manuscript rooms unattended. The volunteer or staff person on duty will retrieve and deliver any manuscript collection to the reading area.
- One box will be delivered to the table. Please use only one folder at a time. Do not remove or rearrange items in the collection.
- If the manuscript collection is available on microfilm (e.g., First Families of Ohio to 1995) or has been photocopied (e.g., Whissemore Collection), the patron should utilize the copy for reading and photocopies to preserve the original manuscript.
- When citing manuscripts and other OGS materials, use the name of the collection and the Society's name and city. Example: The Whissemore Photograph Collection, Ohio Genealogical Society Library, Mansfield, Ohio. Patrons should comply with all copyright laws in the correct usage of any library material.