Ohio Civil War Genealogy Journal Subject Index
The Ohio Genealogical Society started the Ohio Civil War Genealogy Journal in 1997. Since then, OCWGJ has become an indispensible resource for researching Ohio Civil War soldiers and their families.
This is a subject index to OCWGJ. This index contains the major names, units, and event locations for all articles since the start of OCWGJ. In addition, it includes all military units mentioned in Volume I, whether included in a list of names or as the major subject of an article.
While there are many ways to search this index, it is important to remember that the more items you add to your search, the more narrow your search will be. Being "too exact" in your search may eliminate articles of interest.
This database may be searched in the following ways:
- Fuzzy -- will search for that string of characters. Searching for Johns will yield Johns, Johnson, Johnston, etc.
- Exact -- will search for that exact text only. Searching for Johns would yield only Johns.
- Soundex -- will search for Soundex equivalent. Searching for Johns would yield Johns, Jonns, Jones, etc.
If you are using Keyword as a search parameter:
- Adding a plus sign (+) before each word will find titles/subjects with all of those words. +Chattanooga +Campaign will find entries with both Chattanooga and Campaign (not necessarily in that order)
- Adding a minus sign (-) before a word will exclude titles/subjects with that word. +Chattanooga -Campaign will find entries with Chattanooga, but not Campaign
- Just listing the words with no plus or minus will find entries with either word. Chattanooga Campaign will find entries with either Chattanooga or Campaign
- Adding an asterisk (*) after a word will search for partial words. Morgan* will find both Morgan and Morgan's